9.14.2009

Elisabeth Morrow Teacher Swims Hudson River

When she's not running or peddling, outdoor enthusiast and Elisabeth Morrow first-grade teacher, Ms. Lori Lowell, might be found paddling on the river. Yesterday, however, she left the kayak at home and dove in with three hundred other swimmers for The Hudson River Swim For Life, which raises money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. This was Ms. Lowell's third time participating in the Swim for Life and this year's crossing took her 2.5 hours. The three-mile swim from Nyack to Sleepy Hollow was challenging, she said. The weather was great and the water was warm enough, but the windy conditions made the water choppy. "Waves were splashing in my face," she said with a laugh. "I told my kids I must have swallowed a gallon of water." So why swim the Hudson River? "I did it because I love to swim and I thought it was a really neat challenge." Ms. Lowell also raised over $350 for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.